Wednesday 3 June 2009

Tick tock tick tock

Oh my, its been such a long time since I posted.
It has been commented upon on more than one occasion.
My problem is two fold; I like to have a wee think about what I'm gonna write about, and while I'm doing it have a wee nose at everyone else's blogs. So if its after a big event, I tend to find that I'm too slow off the mark and someone else says just what I was thinking. The other thing is that I can concentrate on two things at the same time without saying inappropriate things, and as I spend quite a bit of my free time on the phone the blog gets sidelined.
Anyway, I ramble on.
We made a great profit on the Christopher Brookmyre night, just short of a grand in fact. And bag packing in the Co-op netted us just short of three hundred quid. Not bad for a days work.

The next big days work I've got is in less than 9 days and four hours. The Calley Challenge is fast approaching. I've managed to put in a couple of long distances in the last few weeks, and this week I have plans for a thirty miler. Another month and I'd be really confident, right now I'm just hoping to finish. Having said all that, its was looking pretty doubtful that I was ever gonna start due to my longstanding back issues. I am recovering well and my physio has given me the go ahead but to make sure I don't lift anything. Who does she think I am, some crazy squaddie who fancies humphing a 75kg Bergen........not.

We have a great support crew; who between them have all the skills and resources to get us through the 24hr challenge. A WHWR veteran of many finishes who will sort all our nutritional needs and happens to be quite handy as a sports physio too. My paramedic Da who has his kit replenished and has all manner of goodies at his disposal. The blood giving set made me a little nervous right enough. The final member is an infamous pirate who's' attendance in not in the bag yet, but I have offered up a deal to the gods that he arrives on time. His skills lie in the treatment of blisters I'm told. Why was super glue mentioned in the kit list? I'm also holding out for a cuddle or a kick in the arse where required.

To be honest it's just getting in the way of my excitement for WHWR weekend. It's gonna be really different for me this year. It will be the first time I've seen the start of the race. In fact I've only EVER seen the start of one ultra, the Fling back in April. I usually spend the evening in a wigwam with my Maw and a bottle of vino callapso. going to bed at 1.01am precisely. When I informed the Race Daddy that I'd be there at the start to see my boy off he just about jumped for joy. "oh so I can give you a job then?" that not quite how I planned it. But then again not much goes to plan in my life.

Got some good news today about the parking situation at my checkpoint. We're gonna have a whole extra field to play with. That should really take the pressure off and make our job a wee bit easier. How ever I'm gonna have a couple of extra helpers this year, although they don't know it yet. Daryl Jacobs is gonna be put to work by Mrs Mac. I hope he doesn't make me take my eye off the prize like I did to him recently. At the BWB boxing event last week we both missed the knockout blow that put Stu MacDonald on his back. All because the lighting guy asked me to move the big man...... oops 3,2,1 yer out!!

So its half eight now. Cool enough for a wee run me thinks. Blogging and running in the same day, now that's progress.

"Progress, of the best kind, is comparatively slow. Great results cannot be achieved at once; and we must be satisfied to advance in life as we walk, step by step.”

Samuel Smiles

Catch ya
Mrs Mac xox

ps. I've just been reminded that I have in fact seen the start of TWO ultras. How could I forget that fateful day where Dino, Murdo MacDonald and I waved off a coulpe of steamers to cover 44 miles in a haze of red wine fumes and the distant whiff of lastnights Guinness. You gotta love the RAW. There is a really pretty bridge I keep meaning to revisit.

1 comment:

Davie said...

Done. The wee guy is my neice's kid who suffers from a genetic brain disorder and for whom I'm trying to raise some money to set up a fund for equipment he'll need. More on that later!